Before we get into the details of this document, we would like to share with you some of the terms and definitions used below, so that everyone understands what is meant when we say:
- Terms of Service (or Terms): The document entitled “Terms of Service” that outlines the terms and conditions that users agree to in order to use our Services.
- Services: The LifeTales and Celebrate software and services, which are provided through mobile and web-based apps, and include the Subscription Services as defined in the Terms of Service.
- Personal Information: Information about an identifiable individual, for example, your name, home address, telephone number and email address.
- Technical Information: Non-identifiable information that is recorded by the standard operation of our server logs from your browser or device on an anonymous basis. This information is used on an aggregate basis and in an anonymous (i.e., non-personally identifiable) form.
We at LifeTales Inc. (“LifeTales”,“we”,“us”,“our”) understand that you care about how your Personal Information is collected, used and disclosed. We understand that by using our Services, you’ll be sharing information with us, and we want to be upfront about how we handle it. We’ve written this in a way that you don’t need to be a lawyer to understand how we treat the information we deal with. Last but not least, we want you to know that we take your privacy seriously.
Below is the information you should know about our privacy policies and practices. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at email@example.com or at (416) 222-6442.
Information We Collect
Information that LifeTales collects falls into the following two categories:
- Personal Information you provide to us; and
- Technical Information collected automatically by our server logs from your browser or device.
More information about these categories is listed below.
We only collect Personal Information that you as a user provide to us. We receive and store this Personal Information on our servers. This includes the following information:
- your name, email address and password when you register a user account with us (your“Account”); and
- information you post or upload through your use of the Services, such as photos, videos, audio and text or comments on your own Stories or Stories of other users that have been shared with you (your “Comments” and collectively with your “Stories”, your “Content”);
- if you email or phone us, we will keep the content of your message, your email address or phone number, and your contact information to respond to your request.
Additional Personal Information may be required if you choose to subscribe to one of our Subscription Services (as defined in the Terms of Service) or you sign up to take advantage of some of our features. Any additional Personal Information collected would be clearly outlined in those registration processes.
If you access our Services via another social media platform, such as Facebook, we will not collect or access any of your Personal Information from your account on that social media platform.
Whenever you interact with our Services, we automatically receive and record Technical Information on our server logs from your browser or device, such as
- your IP address;
- your device identification, including type of browser and hardware model;
- permissions to access your camera and photos and microphone (but not the actual photos, voice recordings, etc., which are considered Personal Information);
- “cookie” information;
- usage information, such as the page you visited on the Services or feature you requested;
- geolocation information from any geotagged photos that you upload; and
- we may receive a confirmation when you open an email from us. This confirmation helps us make our communications with you more interesting by telling us what kind of information you find to be relevant and helps us to improve our Services and communications with you.
How We Use Your Information
The overall use for the Personal Information and Technical Information we collect is to provide you with a continuously improving set of Services.
We only use your Personal Information for the uses you have consented to. If we would like to use your Personal Information for any additional uses, we will seek your consent in order to do so.
We use your Personal Information in order for us to provide the Services, including:
- to provide, personalize and improve our Services;
- to allow you to set up a user account and profile;
- to communicate with you (as described below);
- to allow other users with whom you have invited to share Content with to contact or communicate with you;
- to fulfill your requests for certain products and Services or respond to your enquiries; and
- to enforce our Terms of Service.
If you do not want to receive Promotional Information from us, you can choose to unsubscribe at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any promotional email. We will still continue to send you Account Information but you may be able to opt out of some of this information by changing your notification settings in the app.
We use the Technical Information we collect to:
- analyze how you use the Services, in order to improve the Services for users;
- improve our Services by analyzing trends in usage;
- maintain the safety and security of our Services.
We aggregate Technical Information by combining the Technical Information of many users to produce usage statistics. This aggregated Technical Information cannot be used to personally identify any one individual. We also anonymize your Technical Information, so that you are not individually identified.
Disclosure of Your Information
We neither rent nor sell your Personal Information in personally identifiable form to anyone. However, we may disclose your Personal Information to certain third parties, as described in this section.
With Your Consent: We do not display any of your Personal Information to any other users of the Services without your permission. You decide which Content you wish to share with other users.
Public User Profiles and Posts: Certain user profile information, including your name; location (if you have your geolocation information on your device turned on or the photos you post are geotagged); and any Content that you have uploaded to the Services may be displayed to other users you choose to share this information with, in order to facilitate user interaction within the Services. Please remember that any Content you voluntarily disclose online on a public forum becomes publicly available, and can be collected and used by others. You should think carefully about what you make public, especially if it is sensitive information. Your user name may also be displayed to other users if and when you send messages, upload Stories, or post Comments through the Services and other users can contact you through messages and Comments. We cannot control what other users choose to do with the Personal Information you choose to share with them.
We may provide aggregated and/or anonymized Technical Information to our service providers, including third-party analytical providers, who may use such information to understand how often and in what ways users use our Services, so that they, too, can provide you with an optimal online experience.
We never disclose aggregated or anonymized Technical Information to a partner in a manner that would identify you personally as an individual.
We do not use your Technical Information to serve you, or allow others to serve you, targeted advertising.
Security of Your Personal Information
Your Account is protected by a password for your privacy and security. If you access your Account via a third party site or service, you may have additional or different sign-on protections via that third party site or service. You must prevent unauthorized access to your Account and Personal Information by selecting and protecting your password and/or other sign-on mechanism appropriately. You should never publish, distribute or post login information for your Account.
We implement security safeguards to protect Personal Information against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification, regardless of the format in which the information is held. We use organizational and technological measures to protect Personal Information, such as firewalls, encryption, and employee education.
We will keep Personal Information only for as long as it remains necessary for the purposes for which it was collected, or as required by law. We use secure means of disposing of Personal Information.
We endeavor to protect the privacy of your Account and other Personal Information we hold in our records. Please be aware, however, that despite our efforts, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable and no method of data transmission can be guaranteed against any interception or other type of misuse.
Processing & Storage of Your Personal Information
If you are located outside Canada and choose to provide information to us, we may transfer your information to Canada and process it there (or any other country where we operate or buy Services). Under the laws of these other jurisdictions, in certain circumstances foreign courts, law enforcement agencies or regulatory agencies may be entitled to access your Personal Information without notice to you. By submitting your Personal Information to us, you agree to this transfer, storing and processing.
Changes to Your Personal Information
We want to make sure that the Personal Information that we have collected about you is accurate, complete, and current. However, we will not routinely update this information, unless it is necessary for us to do so to fulfill the purposes for which we collected the Personal Information.
Through your Account settings, you may access, and, in some cases, edit or delete the following Personal Information you’ve provided to us:
- email address; and
- user profile information, including text, images, audio and video you have uploaded to the Services.
The Personal Information you can view, update, and delete may change as the Services change. If you have any questions about viewing or updating Personal Information we have on file about you, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Choices You Have
You can always opt not to disclose Personal Information to us, but keep in mind some Personal Information may be needed to register for our Services or to take advantage of some of our special features.
You may be able to add, update, or delete Personal Information as explained above. When you update Personal Information, however, we may maintain a copy of the unrevised Personal Information in our records. You may request deletion of your account by emailing us at email@example.com. We will delete your account at your request and we generally delete closed account information within thirty (30) days of account closure. However, deletion of information associated with your Account from servers and various redundant locations may take more time.
You are always in control of which users you share your Personal Information and Content with. When you add another user to a Story that you’ve shared in the LifeTales app, they only have access to that Story, as well as other Stories you have shared with them. They do not have full access to all of your Stories if you share one Story with them. In addition, you can, at any point, remove a user from a Story you’ve shared with them. This will revoke their ability to see the Personal Information that you have chosen to share within that particular Story. LifeTales is not responsible for media or information that has been recorded, kept, or used in any way by a user through screenshots or other third-party software. LifeTales can only stop sharing a Story with a person in-app and we do not manage any information or media that has been copied from our Services into another application or third-party software.
As noted above under the heading “Disclosure of Your Information – Personal Information”, any Content you voluntarily disclose online on a public forum becomes publicly available, and can be collected and used by others. You should think carefully about what you make public, especially if it is sensitive information.
You can control whether others can see your location by turning off your geolocation and geotagging features on your mobile device.
Children Under the Age of 16
We do not knowingly collect or solicit Personal Information from anyone under the age of 16. If you are under 16, please do not attempt to register for the Services or send any Personal Information about yourself to us. If we learn that we have unknowingly collected Personal Information from a child under age 16, we will delete that Personal Information as quickly as possible. If you believe that a child under 16 may have provided us Personal Information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- placing a notice on the lifetales.com website,
- placing a notice within the LifeTales mobile app, and/or
- by sending you an email.
Links to Other Websites or Apps
Access to your Personal Information
If you are a Canadian resident and have any questions about the accuracy of the Personal Information that we have collected about you, you can have access to that Personal Information in order to verify and update it, unless we are permitted or required under applicable laws to refuse your access to such Personal Information. You may contact our Privacy Officer at the contact information below to request access to Personal Information that we have about you. We will respond to requests within thirty (30) days. You have the right to complain to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada about issues related to your request.
What if I have questions about this policy?
We have designated a Privacy Officer, who is ultimately accountable for the handling of all Personal Information in our custody and/or control and for ensuring that the principles described in this Policy are being complied with.
If you have any questions regarding our privacy policies, please send us a detailed message to our Privacy Officer at email@example.com.